Gov. Carney, agencies and ILA partner for Puerto Rico donation drive
The State of Delaware is stepping up to help hurricane victims in Puerto Rico - launching a campaign to gather donated supplies to aid relief efforts there.
Puerto Rico continues to struggle in the wake of Hurricane Maria two weeks ago.
So, Gov. Carney’s office, the Delaware Emergency Management Agency, Delaware State Police and the Delaware Citizen Corps are partnering with International Longshoremen’s Association and the Port of Wilmington to get needed items to that island.
DEMA Spokesman Gary Laing says the state just wants to do its part
"It has been a particularly tough year for the United States in terms of disasters, with Harvey in Houston, Texas and its surroundings. We also had the hurricane that hit Florida and now Puerto has been pretty much devastated," said Laing.
Laing adds a wide variety of items are needed.
“We’re looking for things like baby formula, disposable diapers, first aid supplies, stomach and diarrhea medicines, the hand sanitizers and the insect repellents, toiletry items, dish soap and laundry detergent," said Laing. "As people are cleaning up, they need those kinds of things.”
But Laing notes items like clothing and shoes, toys or stuffed animals, bottled water and food will NOT be accepted. He also points out they are not taking monetary donations.
Donated supplies can be dropped off at all Delaware State Police Troop locations any day between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m., until Wednesday, October 18.
- Delaware State Police Headquarters - 1441 N. DuPont Highway, Dover 19903
- State Police Troop 1 - 603 Philadelphia Pike, Wilmington 19809
- State Police Troop 2 - 100 Lagrange Avenue, Newark 19702
- State Police Troop 3 - 3759 South State Street, Camden 19934
- State Police Troop 4 - 23652 Shortly Road, Georgetown 19947
- State Police Troop 5 - 9265 Public Safety Way, Bridgeville 19933
- State Police Troop 6 - 3301 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington 19808
- State Police Troop 7 - 18006 Coastal Highway, Lewes 19958
- State Police Troop 9 - 414 Main Street, Odessa 19730
Transportation of donated items to Puerto Rico will be handled by the International Longshoremen's Association 1694.
Delawareans wishing to make monetary donations may do so securely online through National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster.
Delawareans interested in volunteer opportunities can find instructions online at the National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster’s website.