NAMI Delaware hosts statewide clothing drive
The National Alliance on Mental Illness Delaware hosts a statewide clothing drive December 1st through 5th.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness in Delaware (NAMI) is the largest grassroots organization serving individuals living with mental illness and their families and friends.
NAMI Delaware Executive Director Dr. Joshua Thomas says the clothing drive fills a need, “The clothing drive for New Castle and Kent Counties is benefiting the Delaware Psychiatric Center, better known as the State Hospital by a lot of people in Delaware. People often end up at the hospital and they don’t have appropriate clothing for the weather,” said Dr. Thomas.
Dr. Thomas notes the clothing drive in Sussex County will also benefit the ACE Peer Resource Center in Seaford.
Dr. Thomas says the clothing drive is extremely important, “This is a time when people are often very thankful for what they have in their lives and how blessed many of us are with not being concerned about our basic needs...that all those are covered. And so this is an excellent opportunity to offer people an avenue where they can support those less fortunate,” said Dr. Thomas.
He says in New Castle and Kent Counties, immediate clothing needs are men’s winter coats, pants, shirts and shoes in all sizes, though women’s clothing is also accepted. In Sussex County, the focus is on new or gently-used outerwear, new socks and new undergarments in ALL sizes for men and women.
Collection sites, dates and times in New Castle and Kent counties:
- NAMI Delaware Office, 2400 W. Fourth St., Wilmington Dec. 1 and Dec. 4-5, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- UD STAR Campus, 540 S. College Ave., Newark. Dec. 1 and Dec. 4-5, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Delaware State Police, Troop 3, 3759 S. State St., Camden. Dec. 1-2, 9 a.m.-4p.m.; Dec. 3, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; and Dec. 4-5, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Collection sites, dates and times in Sussex County:
- NAMI Delaware Georgetown Office, 7 S. King St., Georgetown. Dec. 1 and Dec. 4-5, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- La Red Health Center, 21444 Carmean Way, Georgetown. Dec. 1 and Dec. 4-5, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
As an alternative, individuals or groups can make a tax-deductible monetary donation to the clothing drive at www.namidelaware.org