Turn in unused and expired medications Saturday during Drug Take Back Day
With hundreds of lives being lost to drug overdoses each year in the First State, Delaware holds another Drug Take-Back Day this weekend.
Drug Take Back Day event coordinator Bill Leitzinger says Delawareans can discard their expired or unused medications Saturday.
The goal: reduce the risk of prescription medications being diverted for misuse.
"It’s held twice a year, usually in April and now October. And it’s an opportunity for the citizens of Delaware to clean out their medicine cabinets, get rid of prescription or non-prescription drugs, even pet medication(s) they accept, to get it away from your home," said Leitzinger.
The event is organized by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Department of Health and Social Services and Leitzinger says they try to make it convenient.
“We have 22 collection sites throughout Delaware so there should be one right around the corner from where you live. So there’s no excuse; we want everyone to come out and drop off their medications that they don’t need anymore.”
Leitzinger says in recent years Drug Take Back Day has resulted in more than 70,000 pounds of medication being collected in 14 events locally.
As of Oct. 18, 2017, there have been 180 suspected drug overdose deaths in Delaware. In 2016, 308 people died from drug overdoses, compared to 228 in 2015 and 222 in 2014.
Drugs for disposal must be in a container such as a pill bottle, box, blister pack, or zipped plastic bag, with personal information removed. Liquid medications must be in their original containers. Needles, aerosols, biohazard materials, medical equipment, and batteries will not be accepted.
Delaware’s Drug Take-Back Day sites for Oct. 28, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. are:
New Castle County
- Christiana Care Surgical Center, 4755 Ogletown Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19718
- Daniel S. Frawley Stadium, 801 Shipyard Drive, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Delaware City Police Department, 407 Clinton St., Delaware City, DE 19706
- Delaware State Police Troop 2, 100 La Grange Ave., Newark, DE 19702
- Middletown Police Department, 130 Hampden Road, Middletown, DE 19709
- New Castle County Airport, 151 N. DuPont Highway, New Castle, DE 19720
- New Castle County Police Department, 3601 N. DuPont Highway, New Castle, DE 19720
- Newark Police Department, 220 South Main St., Newark, DE 19711 (permanent collection site)
- Wilmington VA Medical Center, 1601 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington, DE 19805
- Atlantic Apothecary, 103. S. Dupont Blvd., Suite 2, Smyrna, DE 19977
- Camden Police Department, 1783 Friends Way, Camden, DE 19934
- Cheswold Police Department, 691 Main St., Cheswold, DE 19936
- Delaware State Police Troop 3, 3759 S. State St., Camden, DE 19934
- Felton Police Department, 24 East Sewell St., Felton, DE 19943 (permanent collection site)
- Milford Police Department, 400 N.E. Front St., Milford, DE 19963 (permanent collection site)
- City of Lewes Board of Public Works, 129 Schley Ave., Lewes, DE 19958
- Dagsboro Police Department, 33134 Main St., Dagsboro, DE 19939
- Delaware State Police Troop 4, 23652 Shortly Road, Georgetown, DE 19947
- Delaware State Police Troop 7, 18006 Coastal Highway, Lewes, DE 19958
- Laurel Police Department, 205 Mechanic St., Laurel, DE 19956 (permanent collection site)
- Milton Police Department, 101 Federal St., Milton, DE 19968
- Ocean View Police Department, 201 Central Ave., Ocean View, DE 19970 (permanent collection site)