Delaware Public Media

New payment method coming for Delaware child support recipients

Nov 18, 2019

Delaware’s Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) needs updated mailing addresses for all child support recipients.


Delaware started sending child support payments to custodial parents electronically several years ago through the First State Family Card and direct deposit.

“So what happens from time to time is - people can move. And they can still continue to get their child support payments because we’re not mailing those checks anymore to their homes. So people move around and they don’t really think about I need to keep Child Support updated on my address because I’m getting payments in another way,” said Ted Mermigos, director of Child Support Services. 


He says the Division is now working with U.S. Bank to issue a new prepaid debit card - the ReliaCard - to replace the First State Family Card.


“We need to know where to mail those cards," said Memigos. "So we’re really trying to encourage people who are our clients and get child support payments to contact us to verify their mailing address. And then if it needs to be changed, go ahead and do that process with the Child Support Office.” 

Mermigos says Delawareans with a child support case can notify the Division of Child Support Services of an address change by mail or phone.

Delawareans with a child support case can mail a change of address to the Division of Child Support Services at PO Box 15012, Wilmington, DE 19850.

A change can also be made by phone Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m at the following numbers:

  • New Castle County, call 302-577-7171.
  • Kent County, call 302-739-8299.
  • Sussex County, call 302-856-5386.

The Division of Child Support Services’ Automated Assistance Line also is available 24/7 with information in both English and Spanish.  A case number  is needed to use that.