Thank you for visiting the employment section for Delaware Public Media. You’ll find more detail here about employment opportunities available at Delaware Public Media (WDDE-Dover, WMPH-Wilmington, and WMHS-Wilmington), the first Delaware-based public radio news network, and delawarepublicmedia.org.
Delaware First Media is a fast-paced company offering an exciting and creative work environment. We look for ambitious and dedicated people ready for daily challenges.
Delaware First Media is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to broad outreach regarding job vacancies. Delaware First Media strongly encourages minority group members, veterans, disabled individuals and women to apply for positions for which they are qualified and which are of interest to them.
Delaware First Media welcomes the help of local organizations in recruiting qualified applicants to our station. Organizations wishing to receive employment listings should contact Delaware First Media at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Producer & Youth Media Coordinator
The Producer & Youth Media Coordinator supports the Delaware Public Media news operation, specifically local program content production. It also works with high school students to produce multi-platform stories as part of Delaware Public Media’s youth media project. The producer will work primarily from Delaware Public Media’s Wilmington locations at WMPH/Mount Pleasant High School and at WMHS/McKean High School, but occasionally report to its Dover office.
- Work independently to conceive, propose, plan and research ideas for programs and segments and take assignments from the News Director.
- Write, produce, edit and mix show segments and interviews for air and web.
- Develop relationships with sources and subject matter experts.
- Work with high school students to produce multi-platform stories.
- Support teachers in planning and delivering lessons, give feedback on assignments.
- Coordinate schedules of DPM staff to participate in lessons.
- Maintain website showcasing student work
- Monitor competitor stations, news sites, newspapers and distribution channels.
- Serve as a backup radio program host and reporter
- Participate in on-air fundraising.
- May represent Delaware Public Media at events.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by managers.
- Strong, tested news judgment.
- Strong writing and editing skills and knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to write compelling online news copy and promotional copy associated with the program.
- Ability to conduct strong, in-depth interviews.
- Ability to assist students in producing multi-platform stories through audio, video, and writing.
- Deliver energetic, conversational and credible on-air manner, in accordance with NPR style.
- Deep understanding of journalistic objectives of fairness, completeness and accuracy in reporting the news.
- Deep understanding of journalistic ethics and the ability to practice them in your professional and public life.
- Commitment to the Core Values of Public Radio.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills, including ability to build strong teacher/student relationships.
- Ability to travel and work hours outside the normal business day.
- Ability to solve problems with urgency, speed and accuracy.
- Ability to meet deadlines both short and long term.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Proficiency in operating studio equipment, field recording equipment (audio and video) and broadcast quality digital audio and video editing including Adobe Audition, ProTools and Final Cut
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and Google Documents.
Education and Training
- Degree: 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience to BA degree major in journalism, mass communications or other related field.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a professional newsroom preferred.
- On-air broadcast experience preferred
Candidates will be required to undergo a complete background check by Delaware State Police, as required by the school districts to work with students.
Delaware Public Media Seeks Underwriting Services
DPM seeks contractual services to achieve underwriting revenue targets by building and maintaining relationships with local, and as appropriate, regional and national business donors to secure cash underwriting donations. Successful contractor will participate in updating rate sheet and materials, and also participate in DPM fundraising activities and outreach events. Successful contractor will demonstrate experience in Delaware salesmarket, with media experience preferred. Proposals and inquiries, including experience, compensation package requested and available start date, should be submitted to email@example.com.